Share this infographic on your site!
Embed this infographic on your site!
Geek vs. Hipster
Last month we saw an infographic we just loved. It was called Geeks vs. Nerds. We originally saw it on the website Geeks Are Sexy, where they noted the obvious conflation between Geek and Hipster. So, to set the record straight, here is an infographic we've developed in cooperation with Geeks are Sexy called Geek vs. Hipster. We hope you enjoy!
Geeks and hipsters: mortal enemies locked in an eternal struggle over irony versus earnestness. But, how different are they?
Geeks are obsessive and their love is genuine. Geeks love their franchises not because of how ironically fashionable they are but because of the subjective impression they left on the individual.
A geek's love is genuine while a hipster's is trendy.
- Have a specific area of interests/lifestyle where they have an expertise.
- Their knowledge can range from mundane - human encyclopedia.
- Can be pretentious and long-winded
- Fan of gadgets and all forms of technology
- A early adopter
- video games
- techno music
- screen printing
Hipsters are dismissive. They sort through the detritus of pop culture, appropriate what they find appealing in its quirkiness, cultivating an aesthetic that considers all but allows surprisingly little. They are ironic and thrive in their vintage lifestyles.
Because of hipsters, the geek culture is returning to the mainstream but for different reasons.
- Hipsters never say they are Hipsters
- Rebellious and often reject the culturally ignorant attitudes of mainstream society.
- They follow an independent culture and somewhat bohemian lifestyle.
- They are very keen on contributing to the development of the society.
- Most live in the middle or upper middle class
- Make a point to be environment friendly.
- Majority of them smoke cigarettes and drink beer often prowling for the uncommon kinds.
- Acts carefree
- Portrays a creative and artistic lifestyle
- Thrives in the past
- Photography/graphic design/art/write/blog
- Thrift store shopping
- Shark week
Fashion: Geek vs Hipster
Geek Fashion : Not trendy. Wear it genuinely
- Glasses - because they need them
- Graphic T's - bands, video games, etc. (only if they love them)
- Backpack - filled with tech gear
- Cargo pants
- Multi-use digital watch
Hipster: Appropriate other cultures for their own "ironic" style
- Vintage - old school look
- Skinny jeans
- Facial/chest hair - rugged look
- Accessories - bracelets, necklaces, rings and piercings
- Glasses - because they find them ironic/trendy
- Funky shoes - Toms, Chucks, etc.
- Visible tattoos - adds some roughness
Fashions go through three phases:
- ironically-in-fashion, before becoming fashionable again.
It's the third phase of fashion where hipsters come in.
Music: Geek vs Hipster
- Led Zeppelin
- Blue Oyster Cult
- Daft Punk
- Tribe Called Quest
- Stan Bush
- Arcade Fire
- Johnny Cash
- The Decemberists
- Bon Iver
- Fleet Foxes
- The Clash
- Iron and Wine
- New Order
Movies: Geeks vs Hipsters
- Star Wars
- Star Trek
- Shaun of the Dead
- The Fifth Element
- Back to the Future
- The Matrix
- Garden State
- Anything by Wes Anderson (Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Life Aquatic)
- Donnie Darko
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Any Documentary
Geek vs. Hipster Stats
- 17% of Americans identify as Geeks
- 65% of video game designers identify as geeks
- 50% of tech engineers identify as geeks
- 37% of bloggers identify as geeks
- 31% of people think geeks have a higher chance of being successful